Sin Belore, a Blood Elf RP guild on Argent Dawn (EU)

HomePortalFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Application - Hurín Firemane

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hurín

PostSubject: Application - Hurín Firemane   Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:32 pm

INFO ABOUT YOUR CHARACTER:

[1] Character's name ingame: (if your character has a last name or nick name, add those as well)

Hurín Firemane (OOC Note: I have recently become aware of the existence of a character in one of Tolkien's son books that possesses nearly the same name (Húrin). I actually did not know this at the time that my character was created - over 77 days played ago (recently revived) - and only just found out after coincidentally reading the book 'Children of Húrin' of Tolkien's son. I also understand that this might cause a lore conflict, though I argue that it's still not the same name and that I could not know this at the time of creation unless I had read the book then - maybe my character is actually older than the book itself...don't know the exact release date off the top of my head but this character of mine originally was my first character ever, created on WoW Vanilla launch day -. I also would rather not spend money to change a name for obvious reasons..)

[2] Character's class and level:

Warrior, 75

[3] Professions:

Mining, Skinning

[4] Why does your character want to join the Sin Belore?:

Noticed the advertising of one of your members in Silvermoon chat after just having faction changed my warrior. Very interested in RP'ing, especially a Blood Elf for the first time and the thought of joining a military oriented RP guild was something fresh to me. I'm also looking to make new friends from all over the world and I reckon joining a guild is always a good idea in that regard.

[5] Background of your character OR an in character application: (We don't need to know everything, just something to get a general idea of your character's personality, motives and such)
*This is an important section - please ensure you give us something to work with!*

Hurín diverted his gaze. A shortlived sigh filled the corner where the lone Blood Elf was sitting. The sight of his brethren, ordinary sin'dorei commoners, enjoying some of the pleasures that the Silvermoon Inn provides, seemed to strike the old warrior with a melancholical feeling. The small hole in the table that he was sitting at, created by the repeated twirls of Hurín's side - shin dagger, proficiently handled by his right hand, appeared to be agonisingly captivating. Feeling his emotions drown in the dark end of this little personal wooden abyss; staring, his eyes focusing intensely without blinking. Hairs in the back of Hurín's neck were inches away from standing up straight when he suddenly realised where his mind was wandering off to, to dwell in moments once lived, history experienced; never again.

Hurín shook his head, trying to rinse out this apparent saddening line of thought. The flashbacks of his previous life, in service of his once great Prince Kael'thas whom he loved deeply, still mustered the strength to daze even this battle - hardened veteran. There was a time where he was completely liberated from his demons, after he abandoned the embodiment of madness, yet it came at a terrible price. A price he was only willing to pay after having witnessed ... and executed some of the most hainous orders.

Those sin'dorei commoners, who were first enjoying each other's company, now seemed to have turned on one another. A lover's quarrel, apparently. Hurín chuckled slightly. A reflection of past times managed to raise the left corner of his mouth into what was supposed to be a grin, while he knew perfectly that nobody was paying attention to this unimportant wanderer, sipping from his herbed beverage. Hurín took one quick huff of air when he noticed himself experiencing a hint of joy. The controversy was clear, memories who seemed to herald the coming of darkness could just as easily be replaced, or even, entwined, with memories of a golden age. Hurín, former Champion Hurín Firemane, former Sunfury veteran, former vindicator of the sin'dorei. Former. Used to be.
(OOC Note: I am aware that trying to RP a 'Champion' is something very hard to achieve. However I have some argumentation to 'justify' me writing this. First off, the 'Champion' title is not fictional but was attained when playing Vanilla WoW back in the days where Honor was counted weekly and your PvP rank was adjusted weekly. Anyone who played back then now knows what kind of a job it was to attain a decent rank. I fell 1% short of Lieutenant - General due to an immediate airplane departure on vacation. Needless to say, the sweat that I put into this character in those days is not easily forgotten, leading to me rather not discarding this reward. This said, I am also willing to compromise if starting out with this title is completely out of the question. Plausible alternatives could be: - wearing the title but only crediting it with a ceremonial rank, for example, a mere soldier in true rank but with the 'Champion' accreditation to honour the soldiers experience and skill in combat, perhaps slightly adjusting the opinion of his superiors towards him in a positive manner. The Belgian monarch in real life also holds the title of 'King' but has absolutely no power or sway. Something similar in this case. Another alternative: - starting out without wearing the 'Champion' title but being given the option to 'regain' it over a period of time and then being allowed to RP it adequately (not my first choice though). Last alternative: - not wearing the title at all (though this would seriously be detrimental for the RP'ing motivation as I never like to not do something for the full extent of its possibilities.)

There was once a time where Hurín was a member of the Sunfury forces. A duty he gladly performed until the historic capture of M'uru and the actions ordered henceforth by his Prince. However succesful in his entrusted tasks, Hurín felt reluctant, felt guilty, somehow. Even though he followed orders along with his comrades in arms, his judgment disapproved. His Prince was failing, his intentions..worrisome. Champion Hurín, not appointed through one great act of extraordinary bravery, but through years of stalwart conviction, steadfast discipline, battlefield experience and cartloads of training. A reward for service provided. A man bestowed with such great honour was about to defy fate and stand up against what he believed was wrong, against the person who provided for him for nearly half his lifetime, against a man who had honoured him greatly. Hurín eventually denied his love for the monarch. Alas, even when withdrawn from the army, the guilt of his actions continued to haunt him. The images of the people who he met in battle, their faces, their cries, their families, death. Every night they paid him a visit, forcing him to wake up to a soaked pillow and a flickering candlelight.

From eternal sunshine to ever clouded skies. The life of Hurín took a drastic turn. For years on end he attempted to block the visages, through various obscure means, some more effective than others. Of course, this lead to varying results, some leaving behind larger, gaping black holes in the old Champion's mind than the other. Both seemed to suit him just fine, making him into an emotionless husk of the man he used to be. Anything to prevent the portraits of those spirits gaining access to his mind, even if this meant sacrificing his own.

A loud wooden thud echoed through the now slightly lesser crowded Inn. The reflection of the grand chandelier stressed the presence of wine on the left hand of one of the sin'dorei lovers, that was still clutching the empty glass. The quarrel appeared to be over. The two exchanged a few more violent gazes and then departed, each in a different direction. A few seconds later the normal crowd buzz regained its decibels.

An empty glass. The event had captured Hurín's attention. His focus rested upon the violently evacuated table and its lonesome glass companion. He pondered. Perhaps he too was now the Blood Elf equivalent of an emtpy glass, emptied through a heartbreaking ordeal, shattering something that used to be unbreakable. Hurín's eyes wandered from the glass, to the table and back to the glass. Suddenly a brightly coloured object caught his attention, semi obscured through the stained glass. The object seemed to be attached to the back wall of the Inn, where apparently no sin'dorei willingly sat when trying to get drunk. Hurín stood up and walked towards the wall. His experienced eyes quickly evaluated the object. A recruitment poster, it would seem, of a gathering of people with the same mindset. With a smooth touch, Hurín's right hand leaned up against the poster. As if he were studying a rare artifact, Hurín slid his index finger down, ticking off 3 keywords: 'duty', 'will' and 'serve'. The poster lacked the presence of any offical representatives names, which forced Hurín to inquire with the barkeep, who quickly divulged the information even if it was with a whispering tone of voice.

"Time to send a letter" muttered an invigorated Hurín.

Perhaps these people could offer a once valuable asset a new home and maybe even .. a fresh start and a new destiny.

INFO ABOUT YOURSELF:

[6] How did you hear of the Sin Belore?:

I saw an advertisement in the chat channel.

[7] Why do you want to join us?:

Because I enjoy RP'ing, I just switched to Horde, Blood Elves for a new experience, I wanted to try out the military aspect of RP'ing, I enjoy a dedicated guild and I like to make new friends.

[8] Your experience in WoW:

Started playing since original WoW release, have never really stopped playing, just took minor breaks and enjoyed playing alternative characters. After such a long time of playing on this character I had to take a break from him. He's back with a vengeance now though and wants to roleplay!

[9] Your experience in roleplaying:

I am a member of Nature's Grasp, also on Defias Brotherhood and also an experienced and dedicated RP'ing guild. I'm guessing some of them also have characters in this guild. In that case: 'Hi, it's Nithluin here!'. That being said, my roleplaying experience is limited to playing a Night Elf (the opponent, I know) though Night Elf lore is rather extensive and should give me a decent RP curriculum vitae.

[10] Are you able to stay In Character on following channels: /Say /emote /yell at all times?

Absolutely.

[11] Are you familiar with the terms god-emoting and meta-gaming, and do you think you are able to avoid those traps in your roleplay?

Most definately. Hence my explanation of the 'Champion' accreditation in my story.

[12] Tell us a bit about yourself: (how old are you, where do you live, do you work or go to school, how much do you usually play etc.)

I am 26 years old. I currently live in Belgium. After graduating I joined the army for a couple of years. After having enjoyed that experience I decided to further 'educate' myself and graduated as a teacher in Biology and Geography about 3 years later. Currently I am in my final year of a Master in Sciences - Political Science while I 'work' as a Futsal player - not that this pay is very spectacular, just a survival wage, really -. I usually play a couple of hours a day, although this is is subject to variation as I do also have a social life (girlfriend, football, friends, ...) and WoW has always taken a lower spot on the ladder of all - out importance, as it should be.

Longest application ever? It could be!
Back to top Go down
Kristeas

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Class: Blood Knight

PostSubject: Re: Application - Hurín Firemane   Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:00 pm

Don't know for how much it counts, so it's better that one of the recruiting officers gives the ok.

1 - Never heard the name Hurin before.

2 - Calling yourself champion shouldn't be a problem since there is no rank with that name at the moment and it wouldn't add any rights, responsibilities or priviliges. I don't think there's ever been a problem with shown titles before.
Back to top Go down
Nessra

Character sheet
Name: Nessra Sunwhisper
Class: Rogue
PostSubject: Re: Application - Hurín Firemane   Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:56 pm

Our naming rules apply only to well known characters in fantasy books, TV series etc.
Hurin is unknown enough to pass the check.

I see nothing wrong with using a title your character has earned long time ago, as far as he understands that he will still have to start from the same rank in Sin Belore as some utterly inexperienced recruits do.

Poke an officer online and we will give you an IC interview: Celistra, Nessra, Sylvaelynn.
If you can't find us online, poke any member who is online to see if we are playing on our alts. And if even that fails, post here which days/times you are most likely online.
Back to top Go down
Kaleil

Character sheet
Name: Kaleil Sunstrike
Class: Blood Knight

PostSubject: Re: Application - Hurín Firemane   Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Nessra wrote:
Our naming rules apply only to well known characters in fantasy books, TV series etc.
Hurin is unknown enough to pass the check.

I see nothing wrong with using a title your character has earned long time ago, as far as he understands that he will still have to start from the same rank in Sin Belore as some utterly inexperienced recruits do.

Poke an officer online and we will give you an IC interview: Celistra, Nessra, Sylvaelynn.
If you can't find us online, poke any member who is online to see if we are playing on our alts. And if even that fails, post here which days/times you are most likely online.

I feel so left out... :-( Lazy guild leader is lazy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Application - Hurín Firemane   

Back to top Go down

Application - Hurín Firemane
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1